- Here you will find information about tarps
, type of tarp covers and the uses. Tarps also known as tarpaulins are used for many applications. The various type of tarps can range from, poly tarps (polyethylene tarps) canvas tarps, truck tarps, mesh tarps, hay tarps, lumber tarps, boat tarps and many other type of tarp covers. The color for poly tarps and canvas tarps can have a wide range. Poly tarps can come in blue, white, silver, green, red, orange, brown, camouflage and many other colors. Common canvas tarps range from white canvas, brown canvas and green canvas. Uses for tarps and the different kinds of tarpaulin are listed below.
- Poly tarps are a plastic based material. Poly is short for polyethylene (pòllee éth? leen). Polyethylene is a synthetic polymer: a plastic polymer of ethylene. Most poly material is used for manufacture of containers, packaging, and electrical insulation or in this case poly tarps. Polyethylene tarps a.k.a. Poly tarps are made with polyethylene, nylon tarp threading inside the material with a rope reinforcement around the perimeter of the poly tarp material. Polyethylene (PE) resins are milky white, translucent substances derived from ethylene (CH29CH2). Polyethylene, with the chemical formula [8CH28CH28]n (where n denotes that the chemical formula inside the brackets repeats itself to form the plastic molecule) is made in low- and high-density forms. Low-density polyethylene (LDPE) has a density ranging from 0.91 to 0.93 g/cm3 (0.60 to 0.61 oz/cu in). The molecules of LDPE have a carbon backbone with side groups of four to six carbon atoms attached randomly along the main backbone. LDPE is the most widely used of all plastics, because it is inexpensive, flexible, extremely tough, and chemical-resistant. LDPE is molded into bottles, garment bags, frozen food packages, and plastic toys or in this case polyethylene tarps aka poly tarps. Sales and Industry relations of poly tarps in the U.S. Tarps Plus/Sante Fe Fright Liquidators founded by Larry Stein in 1954. The plastics industry in 1955 continued to increase the volume of its total output of polyethylene and plastic, a trend which started in the latter part of 1954. Production in that year was approximately 3,000,000,000 lb.; in 1955 it approached 3,500,000,000 lb., approximately a 17 per cent increase. Since then polyethylene has proved itself as a viable plastic with many applications, with poly tarps at the forefront of its top use.
- Canvas tarps have been a wide use item for many years. Canvas, closely woven, plain weave fabric made of natural or synthetic fibers. The firm cloth is used in making awnings, soft luggage and tarpaulins. In this case canvas tarpaulin a.k.a. canvas tarps. Although canvas is also known as sailcloth, modern sails are constructed of fabric, made to select specifications, which may bear little resemblance to fabrics generally marketed as sailcloth or canvas. Technically, canvas tarps have been used for hundreds of years. Canvas tarpaulins are used by painters and the trucking industry due to it's strength with wind. Determining whether to use a canvas tarp or poly tarp all depends on the application. Poly tarps are 100% waterproof and can be less expensive. Canvas tarps can protect a delicate surface like hardwood floor while people walk on it. Painters like this because although canvas tarps might not be 100% waterproof they will absorb paint but not let it leak through and still keep a dry soft surface on the bottom end of the canvas material. It is always good to keep these things in mind when you are deciding to buy poly tarps or canvas tarps.
- Truck tarpaulins are made with a super strong heavy duty poly coating. Truck Tarps are heavy duty tarp covers made for secure fitting coverage over trucks that need to travel long distances. Truck covers can be comprised of rubberized tarps and heavy duty polyethylene material. The truck tarp has double reinforced fabric around the hems. Truck Tarps hems are reinforced with 1/4" triple braided roping, double stitched in hems, corners and reinforced seams. All Truck Tarps have heat sealed interior seams. Truck tarps are equipped with D Rings - One stainless steel plated on nylon webbing every 2 feet, triangular reinforced fabric at each D Ring. This assures a secure fit around the perimeter of the truck tarp cover. Solid brass grommets surround the perimeter and in each corner for additional secure fitting.
- Mesh tarps are built with a nylon tarp threading that weaves a material that is screen like. Nylon mesh tarps
are used for purposes for water or wind to go through. A mesh tarp is a great way to prevent hard winds on the applied area. When building a shade screen tent, mesh tarp covers and sides weaken winds that hit the canopy tent. Hard winds enter one side of the mesh tarp and blows through slowly on the other side so the wind gets defused by the mesh material. This is a great way to secure a tent or canopy. You can use the mesh tarps as side walls which will protect the structure from heavy winds and keep it stable. Green mesh tarps are used by tennis courts and golf courses. A green mesh tarp also makes a nice addition to ant garden setting. Black mesh tarps are used by construction companies for privacy screen covers.
- When farmers need to cover bales of hay they use hay tarps. Farmers require heavy duty tarp material with a specific application like hay tarps
which are built with "D" rings and grommets. The hay tarp material must be U.V. treated to handle the direct sun light and be very strong and 100% waterproof in order to handle heavy rains and winds.
- A lumber tarp
must be 100% waterproof and U.V. treated. The lumber needs stay dry and away from the harmful sun's rays. Grommets need to be built in with a close frequency in order to fasten the tarp to the lumber close and compact. Applications for lumber tarps vary with the every lumber mill or construction site. Common lumber tarp sizes range from 20x30 to 30x40 depending on the job. Heavy Duty silver U.V. Treated lumber tarps with a black center are suggested.
FIRE RETARDANT TARPS
- Fire Retardant Tarps are treated fom within the material. The fire retardant tarp can be poly or canvas. The fire retardant poly tarps comes with a cpai-84 spec which meets the highest standard of fire requirements. The fore retardant poly and canvas tarps are not fire proof. They are fire retardant, which means the flame retards.
- Insulated tarps which are also known as insul tarps are built to keep heat or cold in or out of an applied area. The insul tarp is built with insulated material inside it and a outer polyethylene cover outer exterior. This enables the tarp material to keep cold or hot temperatures from getting in or out of a given area.
- Athletic field covers and baseball tarps
range from 100x100 to 170x170 in size. The baseball tarp must be waterproof to keep the grass field cool and dry. The baseball tarp may be rolled up or folded up for storage and used for many seasons. Grommets should be built into the tarp material a minimum of every 3 ft. and should be double stiched material. The tarp should be on the the field for the duration of protection only. Once rain has subsided the baseball tarp should be removed in order to let the grass breath.
GYM FLOOR COVERS
- Gym floor covers require a thick poly coated material in order to protect the polyurethane floor. The gym floor cover tarp material may be stored by folding or rolling up the material. It is common to have 3 to 4 section of gym floor covers to cover one entire gym floor. This makes the application and the storage of the material much easier.
- Boat tarps can be made with polyethylene or canvas. It is important that the tarp material be 100% waterproof and be heavy duty in order to withstand strong winds and harsh weather conditions.
- High visibility is the key to snow fence. Building contractors and farmers use snow fence for barrier fence and setting up a safety border.
- Tarp pool covers are a great way to keep the leaves and debris out of your pool. The tarp pool cover is 100% waterproof and will help keep unwanted water to fill the swimming pool and prevent overflow.
More information about tarps can be found here